Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Outcast

Outcast
Right now I notice a marked difference between my behavior and the behavior of the crowd. I believe that by shunning broadcast programming, I have singled myself out among my fellows.

I haven't always avoided broadcasts. Whenever I worked in a full-time job, I found them useful as a recreational tool and a source of information. Broadcast programming offers a sure escape from the brutal reality of the workplace. And I lacked the energy for more productive pursuits, having used it all up for my employers.

I do think that Plato was pointing to a benevolent dictatorship as the best form of government in his Republic. By dictating the mindset of the population, broadcasting has the potential to lead us in this direction. However, in criminal hands, a network transmitter turns into a fearsome weapon of tyranny.

When America last went to war, it appears to me that broadcasting was used to reward its consumers with my music and my humor for supporting a rather cruel philosophy. They used my words to make people laugh about bombing civilians and they used my music to turn me, a critic of their policy, into a figure of public hate and ridicule. This is extremely irresponsible.

At the moment, they are causing harm by shunning important news in an attempt to cover up a massive fraud with my work. In the process, people may grab my work and go to jail for only having my statements to give them the facts of the matter. People are less inclined to believe what a person says about himself than they are to accept it from someone else on his behalf. To protect themselves, broadcasters put many others at risk.

I'll be glad when I can safely watch the tube again. In the meantime, I'm glad I don't.
  
More Statements Scripts Songs
© 2014. Statements by David Skerkowski. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment